Sunday, March 21, 2010

KL Towerthon (or 'tower toons')

Date : 21 March 2010
Time : 0800-0945 (staggered release)
Place : KL Tower
Course : 2000+ steps, I guess short and very intense aptly describes it!
Time : Less than 25 minutes, forgot to stop my watch until I was on the observation tower.

This was my first time doing the towerthon and I thought it would be nice if the family wanted to go up the observation tower to have a view as well.

Rookie mistake #1 : Get the time table. We were there at 7am, but my group's start time was at 0900. Hmmmm.
Rookie mistake #2 : With 2000+ steps to go, after a steep 1km run up from the base, some training on the step master or staircase at a condo would help.
Rookie mistake #3 : Didn't know what to expect. Seems like the markings on the walls do not indicate the exact level. The marking starts from T1 to T22, followed by H01 to H03. This actually indicates different levels which do not correlate with the actual number of stories you go up.
Rookie mistake #4 : With 4 lifts and 2400 participants, it is a tight squeeze or a long time before you get down. Don't plan for a flight after the race, haha!
Rookie mistake #5 : Better to enter the Open category. Less bodies to deal with!!
Rookie mistake #6 : If you want your family to be up there, don't! My wife and daughter almost fainted when the flood of runners came in before they could get out. On the way down, I have to give thanks to Kevin (PM2 from Der Pacemakers), for lending his voice to give way for my kid. I guess it was a pretty shocking experience, with the all the hot and sweaty bodies squeezing tightly together (sounds a bit funny when I put in writing).

There were about 4 waterstops on the way up, but it was narrow. Even if I could, I doubt I could improve my time more than a few minutes, as there were many people stalled halfway but not much space to squeeze past.

It was definitely a unique experience and I was surprised that I didn't keel over. In fact, if I knew the end was near, I probably could shave off a minute.

Would I do it again? A big YES! I guess it will be pretty easy to beat my PR for this course, haha!

Next....Energizer Half Marathon this Saturday night.

No comments: