Sunday, January 17, 2010

NB 30k Double HIlls x 2

Event : New Balance 30K
Date : 17 Jan 2009
Time : 0530
Place : Padang Merbok, going to Hartamas through double hills
Distance : 29.49k
Terrain : +/- 242.1m. Tough!
Climate : About 20C before 7am, cloudy to 8.30am
Finish Time : 2:45:59
Pace : 10.7kph?

I was on a plane back from Singapore on Friday when I was seriously contemplating whether to go ahead with this run. The last time a distance close to that was at the Singapore Marathon. In between, my longest run was only 16k.

I knew it would not be a walk in the park, as my conditioning has probably deteriorated significantly with less than 40k logged for every week between SG and this race. However, if taking into consideration the elevation change between the 2 courses (This race had almost double the elevation compared to SG), I would say I did pretty OK. I wasn't putting too much hope on achieving a PB so my 3 priorities were to 1. Finish the race 2. Finish by 3:00 or, no 3. if possible, 2:45.

The race was punctual, with no rain and very cool weather. My wife even complained that it was pretty chilly, even when there was no wind.
I did the first km at crawling pace as I decided to start from the back. The narrow road leading out of Padang Merbok didn't help either. By the 2nd km, I was able to reach close to my target pace.

True to form, I had the speed but not the endurance to beat my PB for the equivalent distance. To cut a long story short, the undulation was a big heart stopper for most of the runners, including yours truly.

At KM21, my left calf was beginning to twitch, normally the first signs that lactate build up was beginning. Toward KM 25, My toes on the left foot was spontaneously contracting. Let's say this is the first time I experienced this. It was like my toes was trying to go into a claw form every time I lifted my foot. This abated after a few minutes.

However, after passing Padang Merbuk to do last assault at KM27, it finally caught up to me, causing me to walk run KM27-29. As the last leg of the race approached, I managed to put all these problems aside to do a last 'kopek' sprint.

Post medal collection, I was struck by the cramps on the left calf while walking to the car. Ouch! My wife helped to push my foot and it took a good 2-3 minutes before I could stand.

Guess not warming down didn't help, coupled with the lack of mileage prior to this race.

All in all, it was good fun, full of challenges and organized quite well.

Next race...Putrajaya Half!

No comments: